Half Marathon Training is in Full Swing!

27 05 2009

Hey guys!  Hope you had a great 3 day weekend!  Mine was great, although I worked, but we did bbq for the first time this year and it was tons of fun.  On Saturday afternoon, I got off work at 3:30 and it was 70* and absolutely beautiful outside.  I was so happy to be off work!  Even though I was exhausted, I decided to go for a run before we headed over to a co-workers house for a bbq.  I ran for 40 minutes around our neighborhood and just enjoyed the sunshine and sweating my ass off.  It was great!  After my run, we got ready and headed over to my friend Alyssa’s house for her bbq.  Unfortunately, I was so tired that I forgot to take the camera.  The eats there were amazing, and the company was even better.  We sat out in her back yard with about 10 other people and just mingled and hung out until about 8:30 adn then we went home so that I could wind down and get ready for bed.  I had to be back to work at 7am on Sunday.  Boooooo.  😦

The weather on Sunday was georgous yet again, so when I got off work, the hubby and his brother aka: best friend since the age of 5 met me at the house and we had our own little bbq here and just sat on our back deck and enjoyed the day.  Yet again, I was so tired I forgot to take pics.  DOH!  There will be many more bbq’s to come and I will remember the camera this time.  I feel like it doesn’t do it any justice to share these events with you guys without having pictures of the amazing times and food.

On Monday, I didn’t have to go to school of course, so I bumped all of my clients up the the morning so that I could get work out of the way and be able to go out and play.  Which actually meant, get grocery shopping done, and then come home and catch up on all of the homework that I had put off over the past 4 days due to not really wanting to work on it, and being severely distracted by the nice weather that we rarely get here in Wa.

Since it’s Spring time and warm out, I crave a lot of fruits and cool light meals.  I was feeling a little fruity when I went to the store.

001 002                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

I got my normal bunch of apples, banana’s, oranges, frozen mangos (unpictured), and also decided to pick up a huge watermelon from Trader Joe’s (it was only $4.49!), some delicious strawberries, and some frozen papaya (also unpictured).  The watermelon and strawberries are amazing!  I am so happy I got them!  


I also got some yummy vegies to cook up for dinners this week.  I am trying to get out of the habit of eating the same veggies every night.  I want to mix it up a little to make sure that I am getting in all of my vitamins and minerals.  I got some yellow squash which I have never bought before, I already had some zuchinni squash in the fridge and picked up some brussel sprouts and some green peppers.  I also already have frozen stir fry veggies in the freezer to add to my mix.  I really wanted to get some red and yellow peppers but they are so dang expensive, and we are on a budget in the Hopeful household, so I passed.  Oh, and I also got a sweet potato so I can make sweet potato fries for me and the hubby.  


Today when my alarm went off at 6:00 am, I realized that I was frieken exhausted (I went to bed at 9:00 last night), so I set the alarm for 7:00 and went back to bed.  It felt good to sleep in a little and push back my morning run for once.  I knew that I would have time in the afternoon to get it done, so I wasn’t too worried about it. 

Coach D has informed me that we are stepping up my half marathon training, and I will be running M-F now instead of 3 days a week.  Saweeeet!  I was happy to hear that, but now I have to make sure that I make extra time to try and get into the gym to do my Crossfit workouts.  Yesterday morning I did an easy 30 minutes followed my by drills and some light stretching.  Monday and Wednesdays will be my easy for the time being, just 30 minutes.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays I will be working on my breathing, and he has breathing drills that I have to do while running.  I have never done this before, but it’s supposed to help with my lung capacity, and since I am athsmatic I will take all of the help I can get.  On Wednesdays I will be meeting him the the mornings to do either hill repeats or track workouts.

So, today I went for my run right when I got home from class and did about 35 minutes.  It was pretty hard, and I’m not sure why.  It takes me about 15 minutes to warm up, and by that time, I am half way done with my run.  But the time 30 minutes has hit, I am warmed up and ready to go.  It’s going to take some getting used to…..this whole only running 30 minutes thing.  Coach D told me that starting next week I am going to be doing long runs that will be from 45-60 minutes long so that will be nice to be working on some distance.  

After my run today, I was whooped.  My stomach was doing some wierd stuff and I thought I was gonna puke.  Not sure why, and it didn’t really settle for about two hours.  I sat around and hung with the hubby for about an hour and then headed over to the gym for my Crossfit workout.  Today I did the workout titled “Fran”.



  • 21 Thrusters followed by 21 (band assisted) pull ups
  • 15 Thrusters followed by 15 (band assisted) pull ups
  • 9 Thrusters followed by 9 (band assisted) pull ups


These rounds were done for time, and I did it in 6:38.  I know I can do better next time, but let me tell you…when I was done, my arms and legs were destroyed!

Check out this video…this chick is amazing!  I wanna be like her when I grow up.  I did what she is doing, but didn’t have any weight on the bar and my pull ups were assisted.  


When I got home, my stomach was still a little queasy so I had a protein shake and waited for it to settle.

All of the sudden, I was STARVING, so I decided to steam up the veggies that I bought yesterday and make a Chili Lime Chicken Burger from Trader Joe’s.  These chicken patties are only 150 cal, 6 grams of fat, and 19 grams of protein!!!  After my hard workouts today, I definitely needed the protein.

Here’s my yummy dinner!


It was delicious, and really hit the spot!  They yellow squash was a great addition and made my tummy happy!

I’m kind of all over the place today, but I decided to make Banana Almond Butter Oats for the first time this morning and they were A.MAZ.ING!!!

Here’s the delicious before……


And the even more delicious after! 


 I love how the bananas and the almond butter just melted into the oats, oh my gosh it was so satisfying!  This little breakfast kept me full for 3 hours!  That is unheard of for me.  🙂

Okay, I just got a call from Coach D, and we are meeting at (gasp!) 5:30am tomorrow to do some hill repeats!  Wholy crap that is so damn early!  I know that the run will be great and I will be sure to update you guys.  I have to get ready to hit the sack because I’m getting up at 4:30!  Bleh!  

Have a beautiful evening, and I will catch up with you guys soon!!!!

Dayna 🙂





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: